Carbide Coatings – Tungsten Carbide and Chrome Carbide
The Carbides - “The Wear Coating”
Tungsten Carbide and Chrome Carbide Thermal Spray Performance Surfacing
- Process designated based on parameters of various equipment to produce desirable results and in most cases reduce the heat effect on carbide, keeping the intended carbide phase structure.
- Your operating conditions are considered to choose material and identify wear and combinations thereof.
- Thickness specification is based on application and tolerances.
- Surface finish for rough gripping surfaces.
- Highly-polished chatter-free coated components using super-finishing techniques along with diamond grinding media to achieve low surface finishes and dimensional accuracy.
- Carbide particles are acid- and chemical-resistant by themselves – cemented matrix is designated based on wear, higher temperatures, and corrosion.
- Carbide coatings have thermal conductivity properties.
- Carbide materials can be sealed for pick-up resistance in many operating environments using ASB Industries’ coating systems: KarGen and S-Kote Sealing Systems.
Carbide is bonded in a metal matrix dependent on many factors. Cemented binders with different material matrices are tailored to resist chemical, heat, and wear environments.
In many applications where chrome has added proven wear life, the selection of carbide applied by the HVOF process may provide an alternate in demanding applications. Cost vs. wear life economies will provide possible alternates to a standard electrolytic chrome alternative.
Powder morphology and thermal spray process parameters offer a range of surface profiles. Rough to smooth-as-sprayed surfaces can offer grip and a possible increase of friction coefficient (based on mating material hardness) with the long wearing carbide surface.
Tungsten Carbide and Chrome Carbide are the predominant carbide materials used to apply protective surfacing using Thermal Spray processing. Relatively thin layers can offer dramatic results under extreme conditions.
Contact ASB Industries to get more information on protective carbide coatings for your project.