Cold Spray Services
The Cold Spray process fundamental physics is based on a supersonic gas jet accelerating solid powder particles to Mach 2-3 (600-900 m/s) to deliver both build up and surfacing layers. It reflects the trend toward higher particle velocity and lower heat input that began with experiences in the field of High Velocity Oxy-Fuel (HVOF). With High Pressure Cold Spray, however, coating materials aren't melted by a thermal energy source. Rather, energy from high pressure gas allows injected powder material reach critical velocity of the particles impacting the surface being coated. As a result, a strong bond and dense layer is formed with the substrate, similar to explosion welding.
Key elements to High Pressure Cold Spray processing include:
- ORIGINAL MATERIAL HAS SAME PHASE STRUCTURE AFTER PROCESSING
- ELIMINATES OXIDE FORMATION FOR OXYGEN-SENSITIVE MATERIAL
- ELIMINATES SOLIDIFICATION STRESSES
- MINIMAL SURFACE PREPARATION FOR MANY SUBSTRATES, INCLUDING STAINLESS STEEL, COPPER AND ALUMINUM
- WIDE RANGE OF COATING MATERIALS FROM SOFTER ALLOYS TO HARD MATERIALS
- NON-COMBUSTION CLEAN ENVIRONMENT
- ULTRA-PURE COATINGS
- HIGH PRESSURE COLD SPRAY ELIMINATES PEENING MATERIAL COMPARED TO LOW PRESSURE PROCESSES
Advantages of Cold Spray Coatings
A variety of industries are taking advantage of the wide array of coatings that can be produced by Cold Spray technologies. While spray materials ranging from relatively low-melting aluminum alloys to temperature sensitive tantalum and niobium can be applied to an array of substrates. The properties of the deposited layer are nearly impossible to distinguish from the base material.
- No or almost zero oxidation
- Dense coating structure if required
- Exceptionally high deposit efficiency
Cold Spray Material Selection
Achieving a high-performance surface and compaction/feature build-up requires the selection of the correct material. ASB Industries works with powder manufacturers to optimize powder properties and extend the range of spray materials. While a large spectrum of powders is available upon request, common powders include:
- METAL MATRIX COMPOSITES
- STAINLESS STEELS
Contact us for more information about ASB Industries Cold Spray coatings.